Monday, February 18, 2008

If (subject == science) { Why do Females != Males?}

xkcd is pure brilliance--as in divinity in webcomic form--though sometimes slightly over the head of those who don't revel in the alternate reality of computer programming, math, physics and unrequited love. Today's episode is particularly sad and poignant. Before we grab our pitchforks, rest assured, the author of xkcd does not share these sickening stereotypes and is in full support of female nerdism (Pix Plz and The 1337 Series are but a few examples). Nevertheless, I saw the outlined scenario and its corollaries far too often as an electrical engineer/computer scientist, and frankly, it needs to stop now. Let it be known that the only generalization about my engineering classmates I ever made was that I was better/smarter than everyone else.

I've seen a variety of theories why there are relatively few women in the quantitative sciences ranging from probable to inherently stupid (such as "men are biologically wired towards logic and the quantitative, while women towards the emotional and qualitative"; just try to back that one up, bucko, we'll see how far you and your rationalized preconceptions get). Whatever the reason, the inherent discrimination and alienation that every mathy girl faces probably doesn't help.

Most women know this happens; for many men though, there's still this air of skeptical ignorance. I remember consoling my girlfriend for almost an hour after the typical arrogant computer science major openly snickered at her question in class. I've heard comments ranging from ignorant (bitterness towards recipients of scholarships targeting women) to appalling (like suggesting non-consensual sexual assault). Most of the time, I hear the hackneyed "Boys are naturally better at math than girls."

I don't mean to suggest that male scientists are malicious bigots; on the contrary, the majority of us are Mostly Harmless. That being said, most of us are instilled, whether by our parents or by our peers, with a natural tendency to stereotype females as inferior. This will continue until more women join our ranks, which isn't happening because of all the aforementioned biases.

This brings me to two paradoxes:
1) The number one complaint for male engineering students is "not enough females in classes." Yet, their behavior and beliefs are driving females toward more "acceptable" and socially rewarding studies, like the arts and humanities.

2) Clinging to the stereotype despite the average female outperforming the average male. If a female is kicking your ass in math and she has a natural handicap...you're pretty bad at math. Of course this point is completely anecdotal, but I'm reminded of a conversation with a notoriously arrogant professor who confided in me that there was only 1 other electrical engineer suited for graduate school in my class of 50. I only guessed two females. I was right on the second try.

Maybe I'm just as guilty; I looked at the women in my class with some degree of pity. They were top of their shit but I always wondered if they were naturally hard workers or if they did it just to prove their worthiness as female engineers. Whether they were or they weren't, it's sad that anyone feels that females have to prove anything simply because they're female in a male-dominated world.

I'm not sure if there are any strong lessons in this but these two come to mind:
1) If you have a female friend, relative, acquaintance, running partner, etc. and she's thinking of going into the hard sciences/engineering, encourage her to do what she wants. No one should do anything just to follow or fight a stereotype.

2) If you hear any guy purporting that females are worse at math/sciences than males, give him a swift knee to the testicles. Because yes, there are differences between males and females. And they should be exploited.

No comments: